An account made for depositing the provident fund of employees is Universal Account Number (UAN).
Employee's Provident Fund (EPF) is a form of benefit awarded to salaried employees in companies for long-term savings and to save taxes.
Employees know the fact that the amount is deposited in their provident fund, but there is an ambiguity regarding how to access it.
Here's where you will need to activate UAN to check the account balance. But the primary question is how to find your UAN? For starters, check your payslip.
The slip UAN is generally displayed on it. If not, you may contact your company's department of finance regarding the inquiry of your Universal Account Number. Provident Fund is deducted from the salary of employees, and it is necessary to know the account information.
There are certain documents required if you have joined a registered company including your Bank account information such as the Branch name of the bank, your account number, and IFSC Code. ID Proof like Aadhar, driving license, voter ID, or passport is must along with an affixed photograph.
Address proof is required for which you are required to submit either the ID proof or the recent electricity bill or the rental/lease agreement. Other documents like Aadhaar and PAN cards are needed along with ESIC cards. You are also required to assure that your PAN card is linked to the UAN.
Once, you have all the documents in place, the employer himself can perform the process of activation of your Universal Account Number by following the below-mentioned steps:
- 1Open the web browser and make sure you have a secure and active internet connection to your PC.
- 2Search for the official website of Employees' Provident Fund Organization.
- 3For activation of Universal Account Number, on the right corner at the bottom of the page, click on 'Activate UAN'.
- 4Enter the information asked for on the website which includes Name, your birthday date, valid mobile number, UAN.
- 5Carefully fill in the Captcha text.
- 6Click on the option of 'Authorization Pin'.
- 7After clicking on the above-mentioned option, you will receive a one-time password (OTP) on your registered mobile number.
- 8Verify the details on the EPFO website and click on the check-box beside 'I Agree'.
- 9Enter the OTP you have received on your phone under the 'Enter OTP' option.
- 10Now click on 'Validate OTP and Activate UAN'.
- 11The activation process of UAN has begun.
- 12You will receive a password on the registered mobile number.
- 13Wait for six hours after receiving the password.
- 14As the waiting period ends, you may check your Provident Fund balance on the website of Employees' Provident Fund Organization.
How To Activate UAN Number
India has a separate website for Employees' Provident fund, www.epfindia.gov.in. The Internet has made our lives quick and easy, but sometimes it takes time to understand the modern technology but once the user learns to do so, the tedious task of visit to the local office of Employees' Provident Fund
Organization can be simplified as you sit and access your Provident Fund Account through the website on your internet web browser. Here's how to access the Indian website of Employees' Provident Fund Organization.
- 1Open the web browser and make sure you have a strong and active internet connection to your PC.
- 2Visit the website www.epfindia.gov.in on your web browser.
- 3Once the page loads, select the option of 'Services'.
- 4Select 'For employees' in the drop-down menu.
- 5A new page opens, scroll down and select the option of 'Member UAN/Online Services' under the 'Services' section.
- 6After clicking on the above-mentioned option, your web browser will take you to another page 'UAN Member Portal'.
- 7On the right-hand side of the page, you will spot 'Important Links' on the right-hand side.
- 8When you click on Important Links, an option 'Activate your UAN' appears on the screen.
- 9Now, enter the details on the page which include the Universal Account Number, Registered Contact Number, and Member ID of your Provident Fund.
- 10Once you have filled in the information, carefully enter the correct Captcha code.
- 11Click on the option of 'Get Authorization Pin
- 12After clicking on the option as mentioned above, you will receive a one-time password (OTP) on your registered mobile number.
- 13Enter the OTP you have received on your phone under the 'Enter OTP' option.
- 14Now click on 'Validate OTP and Activate UAN'.
The portal sends you a password on the mobile number, through which you will have direct access to your UAN account. You can change the password according to your convenience to assure the safety of your account details.
This account not only helps you to keep track of account balance but also gives you access to withdrawing money from the Provident Fund account online.
The Universal Account Number helps in centralizing the data of an employee in the country and is useful for tracking the job history of the employee.