Employee’s Provident Fund or provident fund is a plan initiated by the Indian government.
The scheme comes directly under the ‘Employee Provident Fund Act’. As per the scheme, both the employee and employer are supposed to deposit a certain amount into the fund every month.
As the money is regularly invested after a monthly interval, it helps to build a surplus for the post-retirement period.
The PF account corresponding to your name will change every time you venture to work for a different employee/business.
On the other hand, the consolidated EPF account which is linked by your corresponding (UAN) will remain unchanged. The UAN number is the only thing that is essential for the employee to check his PF details and is, therefore, highly essential.
It is fairly easy to check EPF balance and/or know the contribution made by the employer by either EPFO e-SEWA portal, simply using the SMS by logging in with your UAN or using a mobile application.
The employee provident fund act encompasses both the private sector and public sector employees. Along with that, the companies that have hired a minimum of 20 employees can offer the benefits of EPF to its employees.
In the event of a worker or an employee becoming a member of the EPF Scheme, he or she is treated as an eligible individual to enjoy certain benefits in the name of EPF benefits, including insurance benefits and pension.
Below are some benefits of EPF:
While there are several other benefits of the EFP fund, the individuals need to know what all things are essentially required for removal of the PF and also the procedure which is to be followed for doing so.
Requirements for Removal of PF Amount:
In situations such as health emergencies, education plans, weddings, purchase of property, fast access to liquid money becomes necessary. It is important to note that when you plan to withdraw funds from the PF, your 12 digit UAN number should always be handy.
Below mentioned are the essential requirements for initiating the process of removal of PF funds:
Universal Account Number (UAN) must be activated. If in case you have never checked the PF balance from EPF account, you can always activate the UAN by following the steps given below:
- 1Click on Activate UAN after logging on to the official EPFO website.
- 2Enter UAN, date of birth, mobile number, name, and the captcha text. Click on the ‘Get Authorization Pin’ option after you have entered all the details.
- 3On the registered mobile number, you will receive a ‘One Time Password’.
- 4Ensure that the mentioned details are accurate and then tick over “I agree” box.
- 5After getting the OTP on your registered mobile number, enter it and tap on Validate OTP and Activate UAN.
Aadhaar number should be verified with the UAN. To link your Aadhaar with UAN, follow the simple steps:
- 1Visit https://iwu.epfindia.gov.in/eKYC/
- 2After the website loads, under the option; ‘For EPFO members’ click on ‘Link Aadhaaar UAN’.
- 3Input your UAN.
- 4In a few moments, you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number.
- 5After OTP verifications, input Aadhaar details.
The bank account intended to receive money should be the same one linked to your Aadhaar.
Additional Eligibility Conditions:
The following are the conditions that an employee must meet apart from the requirements.
Also, employees don’t need approval from the employer to remove the PF amount.
Procedure to Withdraw PF Using UAN:
The Withdrawal of PF amount is fairly easy. Below are the illustrated steps to be followed to withdraw the PF money.
- 1Access the EPFO e-SEWA portal. Log in with your UAN> enter the captcha code. If accidentally you have lost your password, simply reset it with an OTP. You'll receive it on the registered mobile number.
- 2When you have logged in to the website, search for ‘Claim (Form-31, 19, 10C & 10D)’ in the section of Online Services.
- 3After this section opens, accurately enter the bank account number which is registered to your Aadhaar.
- 4Once the details are verified, simply confirm the corresponding ‘Terms and Conditions’ and then proceed for an online claim.
- 5In the dropdown menu below, you will have to provide the reason for withdrawal from the account. The account holder will be allowed to choose from options that he/she qualifies for.
- 6Enter the details. Upload all the necessary documents. Once the reason for withdrawal is chosen, you will have to enter the complete address. You may also be required to upload the details of cheque or passbook if you have opted for Advance Claim. Further, you will have to accept the Terms and Conditions before you request an OTP for the process of verification.
- 7After confirming the details and agreeing to the stated conditions, request an OTP. It will be immediately sent to your mobile number. Enter the OTP and your claim will be submitted.
- 8After submitting your claim, it is fairly easy to check the status of your registered claims using e-SEWA portal account, under the section Track Claim Status. The officials will then instantaneously check your data with the records and compare it with the details provided in your online claim form. Once the verification is complete, your application will be processed and the amount shall be disbursed in the bank account.
PF Withdrawal Process Online 2020
Withdrawing PF without AADHAAR Card:
If in case you don’t have access to your Aadhaar but do have access to the PF number, you can access the Composite Claim Form. In this method, you will have to visit the EPFO office located in your region and submit the form together with a canceled cheque of your bank account.
According to the instructions that are provided on the form, there is no need to provide any kind of documents along with the form. If in case the work period is less than a minimum of five years, PAN details will be required and you will have to attach two copies of form 15G/15H, if applicable. In the event of the unavailability of UAN, PF account number shall do the needful.
EPF Withdrawal Form/Composite Claim Form:
The PF withdrawal form that needs to be submitted depends on various factors such as age, the reason for claiming the PF amount, and whether or not the employee is still working.
In order to claim the amount, the employees are required to present the Composite Claim Form to make complete or partial removal.
The earlier documents have now been replaced by the Composite Claim Form which needs the details of the Aadhaar.
Withdrawal of Both PF and EPS in Distinct Situations
There are some special situations in which the PF and EPS withdrawal might be distinct. In such cases, it becomes necessary to fill the Composite Claim Form accordingly.
- 1Withdrawal of PF along with EPS amount - If in case the service period is below ten years, both PF and EPS will be disbursed.In order to get it in the Composite Claim Form, while choosing the ‘Final PF balance’, you will also have to choose the option of withdrawal of pension. If in case you are planning to rejoin the same working organisation, you may choose to get the ‘scheme certificate’ by the aid of form 10C.
- 2If in case the service period is below ten years, both PF and EPS will be disbursed. In order to get it in the Composite Claim Form, while choosing the ‘Final PF balance’, you will also have to choose the option of withdrawal of pension. If in case you are planning to rejoin the same working organisation, you may choose to get the ‘scheme certificate’ by the aid of form 10C.
- 3Withdrawal of PF along with EPS amount: (2) - If the service period is more than ten years, one cannot withdraw the EPS amount. By filing the form 10C with the Composite Claim form, only the scheme certificate is to be issued. Pension can be easily withdrawn by the age of 58 while the reduced pension can be drawn by the age of 50. A person may claim an early pension after 50 years itself given that his service period is more than 10 years. In such a case, the pension would be reduced accordingly.
- 4Withdrawing reduced pension and PF balance - Only if your age is more than 50 years and you have worked for a minimum of 10 years, you are eligible for a pension. On the other hand, if your age is between 50 and 58, you may opt for a reduced pension. To do so, you will have to submit the form 10D and Composite Claim Form.
Taxation After PF Removal
The amount removed from EPF is exempted from taxation under specific conditions.