Snapchat is an instant messaging app with millions of active users. The app became popular as soon as it became available on Android, iOS, and Windows devices.
The teens and young people found it most interesting because of its feature of snaps (pictures and videos) disappearing after being viewed.
This feature has been favorable in increasing its popularity. However, it has also increased digital addiction and screen time of young minds distracting them from the world and risked their online privacy.
Many users are, therefore, deleting their Snapchat accounts as well as their children accounts to reduce virtual distraction.
Steps to Delete Snapchat Account
Follow the steps mentioned below to delete your Snapchat account using the portal:
Step 1: Visit https://acounts.snapchat.com from your browser and log in to your account using your username and password.
Step 2: Click the ‘delete my account’ tab, where you will be asked to enter your username and password again. Follow the steps given below to reach the ‘delete my account’ tab:
- 1Login to your account.
- 2Scroll down and click the ‘support’ tab under the ‘company’ tab.
- 3Click ‘learning the basics’.
- 4Then click ‘Account settings’
- 5There you will find ‘delete my account’
- 6Enter your details and click ‘continue’
Deleting the Account Using the App in an iOS or Android Device
You cannot delete your account using the app. However, it can lead you to the link on the portal on your iOS or Android device without you having to open your laptop or PC.
- 1Login to your app.
- 2Click your avatar on the top left corner
- 3Then click the gear icon on the top right corner.
- 4Now select ‘Help Centre’ under the ‘Support’ section.
- 5Then look for ‘Account information’ in the ‘My Account and Security’ tab
- 6The ‘Account information’ tab will have ‘Delete My Account’.
- 7This will take you to the portal to delete the account using the steps mentioned above.
Deactivation vs Deleting a Snapchat Account
When you finally delete your account, it first gets deactivated for thirty days. It is a way of Snapchat giving people time to make up their minds about permanently deleting the account. The user must keep the username and password during his time in case they want to login.
The reactivation process is also as simple as the user is required to log in again using the username and password. However, the user needs to wait for at least 24 hours before reactivating the deactivated account. During the deactivation period, the user’s friends will not be able to connect with the user.
After 30 days of deactivation of the account, the account is then permanently deleted. All the settings, stories, chats, snaps, locations, and data are removed from the device and Snapchat’s central user database.
However, Snapchat still keeps some personal information about the user for security, business, or legal purposes. The data is about the purchases and the acceptance of the terms and conditions.
Downloading the Copy of your Account
In the time when data is everything, wouldn’t you want to download a copy of your Snapchat account data? Here is what you can do to download data before signing off permanently from your Snapchat account:
- 1Visit accounts.snapchat.com and login to your account. Now click ‘My Data’
- 2There, you will find a link ‘Submit Request’ at the bottom of the page. On clicking that link, an email will be sent to your verified email address.
- 3Login into your email and look for an email from Snapchat with the link ’data is ready to download’
- 4Click the link and your downloading will start. You will find this data in a ZIP format in the name ‘My Data’
Remember that you will be able to download your account data before account deactivation.
Ways to Keep your Data Safe
The digital world has reduced the geographical distance, improved connectivity, and made our lives faster and convenient. All of this is possible because of the personal information provided by us at different platforms.
However, if you are not careful, this information might get into the wrong hands. Therefore, always use social media platforms with care and awareness. Given below are some ways that you can use to protect your privacy while using online services:
Reasons for Deleting the Snapchat Account
People may have different reasons to delete their Snapchat account. Some of them are listed below:
Whatever the reason one has, deleting the Snapchat account is as easy and convenient as signing up. Follow the simple steps, wait for 30 days, and you can permanently say goodbye to Snapchat.