There is hardly any business organisation that does not Microsoft Office for their day-to-day tasks. And why just businesses, from students to researchers, everyone faces this need to use Microsoft from time to time.
Within the Microsoft Office, MS Excel is one of the most used software. It is a spreadsheet program that is used for storing, utilising and analysing data. It is one of the best tools to keep records to track business or estimates.
It is one of the most common tools used by businesses irrespective of their industry. Its fame lies not in the fact that it monopolizes the spreadsheet software industry (if one can call it that), but in the fact that it is the oldest and one of the most easily available programs.
One of the most common functions of MS Excel is merging and unmerging of cells. While it is not a complex process, it still is a little bit difficult. But we have tried to make this problem easier in this blog.
In this blog, we will cover the different ways to merge and unmerge cells on different platforms and operating systems. However, before we explore the process of merging and unmerging cells, there is a caveat you need to know about.
When merging more than two cells, Excel by default deletes the data of other cells and restores the date of the first cell. Now that you know about this, it's time we explore the ways to merge cells in MS Excel.
Merging the cells
Unmerging the cells
Unmerging cells is as easy as merging them. However, before you go ahead with this, remember that on unmerging you will lose the content of the cells. The steps to unmerge the cells are:
- 1Select the cells you want to unmerge.
- 2On the toolbar, click on the arrow beside the “Merge & Center” option.
- 3From the dropdown list, select the unmerge option and you are done
Please note that, while you can merge many cells into one, you cannot split one cell into many cells.
If you want to distribute the content of the cell into more than one cells, then follow these steps:
- 1Highlight the required cells.
- 2In the Data tab, go to the “data tools” group.
- 3Then click on the “Text to columns” option and follow the instructions that come on screen.
- 4Then you will reach the “convert text to column wizard” tab, here you have to specify the pattern of division in different columns.
- 5Once you do that, your cells would be split according to how you wanted.
How To Merge Cells In MS Excel
How Mac users can merge the cells in excel
The procedure for Mac users to merge the cells in the spreadsheet is a bit different. Let’s have a look at the steps:
- 1Select the cells you wish to merge.
- 2Then right-click and select format cells.
- 3In the new window that opens, select the merge cells option from the alignment tab.
- 4Click ‘Ok’ and your cells would be merged.
How can users merge cells in Excel Web App?
The steps are more or less similar as the desktop app. Select the cells that you want to merge and click on the“Merge & Center” option. From the drop-down list select any option you prefer and you would be good to go.