What do Damage files Stand for?
DMG files represent the macOS disk image files, and they are similar to ISO files in Windows based counter parts. Their disk images consist of program installation files for macOS applications.
But there is also some possibility that they can be used to hold compressed files. If it is made for an app of macOS, then it is evident that you won't install them and run the app on Windows.
But if you just want to have a look at the files, then you are allowed to open them up and take a look. To open the DMG file using the Windows platform, you have to have a third-party app.
Take a Look at DMG files in the Windows Platform by Using 7-Zip or DMG Extractor
According to experimentation, it has been found that there are a few DMG files that can open with either one of those apps. However, the exciting central part is that there are no DMG files that will not get open with any of those two apps.
It is highly recommended you start with 7-Zip. This app is free, and the version of the DMG extractor has some problems like— difficult to one extract more than five files at a time.
Thus in case, if 7-Zip is unable to extract your DMG file, then, you should try DMG Extractor, and, optionally, it is up to you to decide whether it's worth buying the professional version.
- 1First, download DMG Extractor. This version is free.
- 2After the installation, the DMG Extractor file will start executing automatically.
- 3After the process, please open the DMG Extractor.
- 4Then select the DMG file which one you want to extract
- 5Press on the "Open" menu icon on the top-left of the window.
- 6If your DMG archive is password-protected, then DMG Extractor will give you a pop-up for the password:
- 7Then your DMG Extractor will load the selected file.
- 8If you have a large DMG file, it will show a progress bar until the DMG file is loaded.
- 9After the progress is made, then you are allowed to find all the files which contain the DMG file and then navigate folders and files.
- 10And lastly, if you want to extract the files.
- 11Press "Extract"; this option is there next after the "Open" button.
- 12You can choose the place to keep your records If you wish to extract the full of the DMG's contents into the same folder or a specific folder selected by you.
- 13If you don't want to extract all the files, then just choose the files you need and then press on the "Extract" menu click "Selected files to…"
DMG Extractor 1.3 Overview
Drawbacks of DMG Extractors
Now here is the procedure from scratch on how you can use a 7-Zip Extractor: As we already know that 7-Zip is a lightweight software. Although 7- Zip is also a potent compression tool that is freely available to download.
- 1First, download the 7-Zip file
- 2Then start installing 7-Zip, by just double click
- 3Any DMG file can open and browse its contents through 7-Zip
- 4If you want to extract the files from the DMG so then press the right-click on the DMG file,
- 5Hit to the "7-Zip" menu
- 6Then first decide one of the extraction options.
How to Extract .dmg File for Free in Windows XP/Vista/7/8/9/10
First: select "Extract Files" to decide a folder where the files are extracted, Second: "Extract Here" to extract files to the same folder where the DMG file is, or "Extract to the folder name" to create a new folder named after the DMG file and then extract the files to that particular new folder.
If you want to get an idea about the speed of extraction process; it depends on the size of the particular DMG file and, then, obviously, upon the speed of your PC. After the extraction is finished, you can start browsing the files in a regular File Explorer window.
We hope these steps have guided you rightfully on how to operate DMG files. It's easy and accessible for anyone to follow these steps. It would help you understand your system better and help you in gaining knowledge.