Edited by Piyush
We can save any file (soft copy) in various formats. This helps in properly distinguishing your information and makes it easy to access.
Who does not want to have several options, when it comes to secure and save all your data? It is usually required when we purchase a new computer and want to set up a new hard drive which is a single place to save all kinds of data.
But this one-stop drive may cause some issues in the functioning of the device or may also cause loss of whole data if that one drive gets corrupted.
In such a scenario, we need is to have different spaces to keep our data separate from less important ones so that if one drive gets corrupted, others remain safe. We can avoid this issue by creating partitions in one drive through some simple steps.
This process is known as a hard disk partition. There are various reasons for people to create separate spaces in one drive that includes the proper organization of files, whether it is your photos or videos files or some library-related data.
Partitioning is necessary, especially when we need to run different operating systems in one computer. These operating systems require different allocated spaces in the drive, making the partition necessary. The partition is a separate compartment of storage in the same device having different spaces in your hard disk.
Reasons to have a Partition in Hard Disk:
It is always easy to access about any vast size information when it is correctly segregated. It makes it easy to gather the required information precisely without putting much effort or wasting your valuable time. Here are the few reasons that tell us why it is helpful to have a partition of the Hard Disk:
- 1Having partition in the hard drive can help in organizing data more efficiently. For example, if you want to keep your data separate from business data or where your operating system is stored, making a partition in the drive would help you do that.
- 2We all are afraid of losing data due to a hindrance or crashes caused by viruses or malware, hardware failure, etc. It is essential in today’s era to keep necessary data separate from storage where the operating system is maintained. Therefore, making a partition in the hard drive can save the data in case there’s an issue with other partitions.
- 3Having a practice of backing up data to save it for long time is essential. Partition in the drive makes it smooth to back up your data in different sections. Since backing up entire data involves the risk of losing data as it takes a longer than backing up diverse data.
- 4As mentioned earlier, if someone wants to run more than one operating system in one computer, then having partition is a mandatory precondition.
- 5Security of data is crucial and users choose to encrypt their files to secure the data. However, we don’t usually want to encrypt the whole drive since it contains some other data which doesn’t need to be encrypted. In such a case, we should partition the drive so that we can make more specific encryption.
- 6It also improves the overall performance of the device as for accessing any particular data, drive needs to read that specific section or partition where data is saved instead of reading the whole bunch. It is less time consuming and will ultimately increase its efficiency.
These are some key reasons to have a partition in the Hard Disk. Now, lets see how do we carry out the partition.
How to make partition in the Hard Drive:
Every software or program has a set of process that needs to be carried out. Even with the Hard Disk there is more than one way to make a partition when you’re using Windows 10. Let’s have a look at some of the easiest ones.
Make sure you have the latest Windows 10 software installed. If not, go to the Microsoft Website and install it.
Once Windows 10 has successfully installed on your device, log in using your administrative account because the process of making a partition in the drive would require an administrative account on the computer. Go to file explorer from the taskbar and right-click on the option saying this PC. Once you reach the menu context, you will be required to select Manage.
- 1First of all, select the start button (with windows) to open computer management. Then go ahead with the control panel to system and security option. Once you reach there, choose the administrative tool option and double click at the computer management key.
- 2At your screen in the left side pane, there is a storage option. Open that option and go to Disk Management.
- 3You will have to right-click at the unallocated space which is there in your hard disk. Among other options now choose “New Simple Volume”.
- 4Next, you will be asked to select the size of the partition. Make sure you enter the size in Megabytes only. There’s also an option of default maximum size in case you are unaware of the perfect size you want.
- 5Going next, you will see a dialogue box in the format of a partition, and there will be some options. You will have to choose either of them. For example, you wish to setup the volume decided next in the default settings. On the other hand, if you don’t want to setup the volume right now choose “Do Not Format This Volume.”.
- 6Going next, you will see a dialogue box in the format of a partition, and there will be some options. You will have to choose either of them. For example, you wish to setup the volume decided next in the default settings. On the other hand, if you don’t want to setup the volume right now choose “Do Not Format This Volume.”.
Another most straightforward way to make a partition is that you first go to the desktop of your device and then right-click on the start menu. You will be directed to a list of options where you have to select disk management.
Others use window+R hotkey to go to the run window option and then type there in the given space disk management. Just click the Ok button, and you will be directed to manage it.
You can also directly type “disk management” in the search box; in windows 10, it is known as a carton. Then select the option written as “create and format hard disk partition”. Once you choose that option, all you have to do is right-click on the panel and choose to extend the volume option.
Other issues you may encounter while creating the partition:
In case you’re left with no unallocated space after installing windows 10, you first need to shrink the volume of drive C. For that, right-click on the drive C and then choose the shrink volume option so that you could have some unallocated space in the drive.
Also, in such a case, you should know about the unavailability of the space when it shows a greyed option to extend volume. Then too, first you have to clear up space by using given steps.
What are Drive Partitions?
Mistakes not to make during Partitioning:
- 1It could lead to some data loss if partitioning a drive into multiple spaces is done without taking necessary care. Since, although we have made a partition and windows will show them differently, it is still in one drive. That is the Partitioning is done to one drive only. In such a situation, if your hard drive fails naturally or suddenly stops working, all data will be lost.
- 2Having several partitions in one drive may create confusion and can complicate the procedure to the user. If you make many partitions in one drive you yourself may lose the organization of the files in it. So, it is advisable to make only two or three partitions to organize data and minimize complexity.
- 3In case you have multiple partitions, there are chances of unbalanced use of spaces. And if any update is required for your device which needs more space, you will have to delete the partitions and make it one for more space.
- 4An average user other than power users shouldn’t make Partitions in the drive since it would create unnecessary complexity for them. Only if you have multiple files that require to be placed separately should be kept in partitioned spaces. For a new user, such a complex procedure can be challenging to manage.
- 5Also, nowadays, modern computers include SSDs. These Solid-State drives have quick memory and can easily access large amounts of data. For those who have modern computers, making a partition is only a waste of time since these new models with SSDs need not have partitions for quick access.
Hence, it is advisable that before making partitions make sure that your device requires such partitions to work efficiently and smoothly. Also, during this process, proper care and precautions must be taken so that it would not result in unnecessary data loss or data crashes.
Due to this reason, new users are advised no to carry this process out. Apart from that, creating space in your device is very helpful when it comes to making your computer work efficiently and effectively, saving personal data separate from business data, encrypting only required information, smooth back up, etc.
Therefore, before going to make Partitions, analyze whether it is something you need to do.