On any day, we cannot deny that Truecaller is one of the most useful and popular apps for caller identification services.
It has been helping millions of people globally to see the ID of the person who is calling; even without having that number saved on your phone book, and that's truly powerful.
Besides, True Caller also helps track down scam calls and offers much-needed privacy and protection. Similarly, Truecaller provides heads up about our identity to other users. What does this essentially mean?
If you are registered on True Caller, there are chances that people are less likely to ignore your calls since they will get an idea of who is calling them.
Today, Truecaller is indeed one of the most used caller identification services globally. This is because of its leading technological advantages; the way it pulls down the alleged caller details.
If anybody uses Truecaller and has your number saved on his phone, your number will appear on the app or web Truecaller’s database when searched by anyone. And that’s the power of it, which made it one of the most downloaded apps of Google Play.
Is your privacy at stake?
Truecaller's convenience is great; however, it comes at the cost of revealing your details to anyone who’s registered on the platform. In cases of fixed-line phones, it even lists their addresses.
You, too, will agree that today, digital media’s power is making your life easy and convenient. But, at the same time, it is being provided at the cost of our privacy.
In the case of True Caller, it looks alarming. Despite you never using its service, your name and number could be on True caller's database as some of your friends, colleagues, or any known contacts may have saved your contact details, and most importantly they might have allowed the Trucaller app to access them.
Besides, Truecaller comprises an extensive database of spammers. This Database collects users’ reviews and tells us how many times a particular number has been reported as spam, what it means that Truecaller also crowdsources contact details from a user's contact list.
This feature of the app compelled us to think that in some areas, Truecaller violates privacy. This has created significant concern among the users and potential users today, and most of them do not want to be searched by other people. If you are one of them, how will you fix this issue? You can solve this by simply removing yourself from TrueCaller’s database.
Remove your Phone Number from Truecaller
The removal of a phone number from Truecaller is easy and simple. It involves two basic steps. The first step involves de-activation of your Truecaller account and post that you will be able to unlist your number from the Truecaller app.
Truecaller Account Deactivation
- 1On your phone, open the Truecaller app and navigate to settings via the sidebar. Look for the 'privacy center option' and click on it.
- 2Look out for ‘deactivate’ and tap on it. As soon as you tap on the ‘deactivate’, a confirmation dialogue box will appear, which will ask you if you want to delete your profile data. Click on ‘yes’.
- 3You will be redirected to the sign-up page thereafter, and your Truecaller account will get deactivated. Immediately after that, you can continue to the next step to unlist your number from search results.
Unlisting of the Number from Truecaller
Now, your Truecaller account has been deactivated; still, users can pull out your information by searching for your number. How will you unlist your number from Truecaller’s database permanently? Follow these three quick steps.
- 1Type the URL of Truecaller’s unlisting page on your browser i.e., https://www.truecaller.com/unlisting.
- 2Type your country code, followed by your phone number on the given space. And do not forget to validate the captcha.
- 3Click on ‘unlist phone number’. Once you click on ‘unlist phone number,’ a popup will appear asking for confirmation. Tap on ‘unlist’ to proceed.
Once you complete these three steps successfully, your number will get removed from Truecaller’s database permanently. Your number will not be shown to others on user searches or calls. However, note that it can also take up to 24 hours to disappear from search results entirely in some cases.
How to Remove Your Number from Truecaller
Instead of de-activating your Trucaller profile, is it possible to hide your profile? Yes, that feature is available on Truecaller and this is quite easy and hassle-free.
During sign-up on Truecaller, instead of using your social media accounts such as Facebook or Google, follow the manual process. Skip the e-mail ID and key in anything that you would like to appear on search instead of your name.
For example, if you have written ‘no name’, if somebody has your number on Truecaller, it will show up as 'no-name’ to them. This is because you have not submitted any personal details such as email-ID and address etc. In this case, those details will appear blank.
Do this and verify it by using somebody else's phone. This is quite a great way to keep your privacy intact on Truecaller without leaving the platform.
Do you want to remove your name from Truecaller?
This is also quite easy to do. However, the steps for doing that are slightly different for both Android and iOS users.
Steps to follow, for Android users:
- 1Open the Truecaller app on your phone.
- 2Log in to your Truecaller account.
- 3Tap on the ‘people’ icon and go to ‘settings'
- 4Select ‘about’
- 5Tap on the ‘deactivate’ option
Steps to follow, for iOS users:
- 1Open the Truecaller app on your phone
- 2Log in to your Truecaller account
- 3Click on the ‘gear’ icon
- 4Select ‘About Truecaller’
- 5Now scroll down, look out for ‘Deactivate Truecaller’ and tap on it
So, that’s all about how you can remove or unlist a phone number from Truecaller. Though this process will help you to erase your entire data from Truecaller permanently, it is suggested to have a periodic check on the same.
And keep this process successful; avoid registering on Truecaller with the same number again.