We are living in a digitized era where we rely on PCs and laptops to perform our utmost activities. There are times when we need to show what is active on the screen.
Whether you are working in a company or want to save the data for future references, screenshots play a crucial role.
Screenshots, also known as screencaps, is the easiest way to capture the image of a page on your screen.
Taking a screenshot has become handy these days, but it is entirely different for mobile phones and laptops. Well, the image can be of a whole screen or multiple screens.
The issue arises when they paste it or attach it in emails. No matter whether you have Windows laptop, Mac or Linux, a list of options are available that makes the process of taking a screenshot easy going.
How to Take Screenshots in Windows Laptop?
Whether it is Windows 7, 8 or 10, you can easily take screenshots with the default snipping tool.
One of the important features of this snipping tool is that it provides several switch modes. Rectangular snip is the default mode. However, you can avail three different snips as well.
- 1Window Snip: It helps you take the screenshot of the active window in a single easy click.
- 2Free-form snip: Free-form snip, as the name suggests, allows you to capture the image in any shape. It can be an oval, 8-figured or circle, all quite easy to capture using free-form snip.
- 3Full-screen snip: It captures the entire screen. It is quite handy for the users of the dual-monitor display, and want to take the screenshot of multiple screens at a single time.
Process of Taking a Screenshot on Ubuntu
Ubuntu is the famous version of the Linux operating system. It, too, has an in-built feature of taking a screenshot.
- 1Take the mouse cursor towards the upper left corner of the screen. You will find the Activities Sidebar.
- 2Click on the Screenshot app icon.
- 3Finally, select it to take the screenshot of the current application or the particular area of the screen.
- 4Select the 'Take Screenshot' button. Before saving the file, enter its name and location.
How to Take Screenshots on Mac?
The laptops of Mac have in-built options to take screenshots. To take the screenshot of the entire screen, press Shift, Command and '3' keys altogether. It automatically gets saved in the Desktop folder as .png file.
For taking a screenshot of a particular part of the screen, press Shift, Command and '4' keys together. While pressing the keys, hover the mouse to select the part, whose image you want, and release the keys and mouse together.
The image gets automatically saved in Mac's desktop folder as .png file. Another way to take screenshots in Mac Laptops is 'Preview application.' Steps are as follows:
- 1Open Preview app
- 2Select the file
- 3Click on the 'Take screenshot' from the menu.
- 4From the dropdown menu, select the required option, which includes, 'From Entire Screen,' 'From Selection' and 'From Window.'
If you are not satisfied with the above-listed steps, you can check the list of programs, called third-party screenshots, to take a screenshot on Mac and Windows. Some paid programs are Ember, FastStone Capture, Snagit, PicPick and alike.
However, free programs include Skitch, Nimbus Capture, Tiny Take and Greenshot. These programs provide additional tools to customize the image of the screenshot.
Today, HP and Dell are the most common brands of laptops used widely. Apart from just taking screenshots, it provides several features to edit and customize the image as per one's convenience.
How to take a screenshot on a PC or Laptop any Windows 2020
Detailed Steps to Take a Screenshot on HP Laptops
- 1Firstly, you need to open the specific screen, which you want to take the screenshot. Make sure the display is appropriate for a perfect image.
- 2The entire setting should be appropriate, mainly the settings. Make sure the information you don't require does not display on the screen. Date and time should be correct.
- 3Now, check the 'PrtSc' or 'PrtScr' button on the keyboard. In HP laptops, it is usually present on the upper right corner of the keyboard. Generally, there can be a variation in the name of the button, depending on the models. Press PrtSc to take a screenshot. Hence, the image version of the page opened on your screen appears on the clipboard.
- 4Once you take the screenshot, it is essential to retrieve or save the image for future references. Open Microsoft Paint or Microsoft Word or Powerpoint and press Ctrl + V to paste the image.
- 5This step is all about editing the image. It includes adjusting the quality of image either using the Paint program or Snipping tool. Finally, save the changes to the desired location.
An alternative method to take a screenshot on HP laptops
Steps to Take a Screenshot on Dell Laptop
If you own a Dell laptop, steps are quite easy to follow. Take a look at it:
Capture a whole screen
Capture a particular part of the screen
Taking a screenshot using Snipping Tool
Many find it difficult to use different combinations of keys to take a screenshot on a laptop. Well, there are alternative options if you want to get rid of these shortcuts. The built-in application in the Windows operating system is the Snipping tool.
- 1Open the start menu and type Snipping Tool in the Search field.
- 2Open the application and click on the 'New' option.
- 3Click on 'Mode' option and from the drop-down menu, select the snip type.
- 4Select the particular part of the screen (that you want to capture) and save it.
Generally, different versions of Windows operating systems are quite common. No matter whichever version of Windows your laptop has, taking a screenshot is very easy. Check out the common ways to use keyboard buttons for taking a screenshot.
Apart from the Win + PrtScr option, you have to save the file while pasting it in MS-Paint or other editing applications. Undoubtedly, the basic screenshot techniques in Windows are phenomenal. However, you can take the help of additional tools or third-party applications to get advanced features.
To ensure better annotation and illustration of the image, Snagit is the free Screenshot tool.
Snagit is easy to use and comes with a multitude of features. Whether it is taking a screenshot or editing, it also supports video grabbing that records the scrolling screen.
You can resize the image in MS-Paint, but additional edits are only possible through photo editing software. The steps of taking a screenshot and saving it is almost similar. However, there are slight differences in the type of laptop and operating system.
These are convenient and the most reliable method of taking a screenshot on the laptop.