Having a baby is one of the most wonderful feeling in the world, but compromising your health during the pregnancy period can be daunting.
On the one hand, it gives you the royal feeling of completeness, whereas, on the other hand, it gives you stretch marks too.
Come on; we know you don’t like it! We bet you know that as well. Are you suffering from the same problem? Relax, mommy, we have got you covered!
In this article, we are going to give-away the much awaited answers to the questions on how to remove stretch marks after delivery, by revealing some of the most effective home remedies.
Yes, you heard it right; it can be gone, but how? Keep on reading to discover more. But first, let's start with-
Why do you get the stretch mark?
Do you know stretch marks are also called striae that results when your skin changes its shape rapidly, wither due to weight gain or internal growth? Over time they get fade off but will not disappear naturally. They often termed as a cosmetic nuisance, as they pose serious emotional stress on the victims.
When stretch marks first appear?
It mainly happens during puberty and pregnancy because, in both cases, our body exposed to rapid changes. In the case of pregnancy, the marks appear on the belly, breasts, thighs, lower back, buttocks, etc. where there is a larger amount of fat is stored.
Those marks sometimes influenced by hormonal changes with pregnancy, puberty, or in case of hormone therapy, etc. The stretch marks occur in the dermis, the layer between the epidermis and subcutaneous tissues; it is like the cushion of our body. The chief role of the layer is to maintain the shape of the skin.
Under rapid physiological changes (pregnancy, obesity, etc.), the epidermis and subcutaneous layer fail to provide the necessary support to the dermis, which results in stretch marks. It mainly happens due to an increase in cortisone, a hormone released from the adrenal gland.
So if you develop stretch marks, probably you have gone through any of these-
In the case of pregnancy, especially during the advanced stages, fats get accumulated around the uterus as a natural process (hormonal changes). Eventually, most of the stretch marks fade and become shiny. But it is tricky to remove permanently.
Another reason behind stretch marks can be a lack of collagen production inside of your body. Collagen is the protein that makes our epidermal layer more elastic. In case your body fails to produce this, you may get awful stretch marks.
Click here to watch how stretch marks look under a 3D microscope:
Have you heard the term Marfan Syndrome?
It is a genetic disorder that affects connective tissues. It weakens our skin fibres due to which the skin loses its natural elasticity. It can also cause unusual muscle growth, which in turn results in stretch marks. The good news is, early detection is completely treatable.
Common areas where stretch marks occur-
Are they dangerous?
Stretch marks are not dangerous physically; over time, they fade off naturally but do not disappear from your skin unless you treat them. These marks do not pose serious long term health risks.
For some individuals, it can be a serious cosmetic concern. Over time stretch marks may create self-image issues followed by anxiety.
Why should you remove this?
Though stretch marks don’t pose any serious health issue, but they can cause emotional stress. Like many other disfiguring skin conditions (scars, burns, birthmarks, etc.), stretch marks can have a serious emotional impact.
Studies show the stretch marks may cause people to feel socially anxious, self-conscious, may lower self-confidence, followed by various emotional ups and downs.
In the case of exposure, i.e., in the swimming pool or case of intimate relationships, they may feel embarrassed. If you think stretch marks cannot be removed, then hold on, you are wrong! They can absolutely be removed with natural remedies.
So, don’t worry, just scroll down to discover.
How to remove stretch marks? - Top 5 Remedies!
Yes, it is possible to get rid of the stubborn stretch marks with the help of some completely natural remedies. These remedies will minimize the appearance of stretch marks in no time.
- 1Sugar and Baking Soda: Sugar has extensive properties when it comes to fading off natural scars, including stretch marks. Rubbing a stretch marks removal paste of sugar and baking soda will remove the dead cells of the target area; besides, it helps in regenerating new cells. The scar cells are very stubborn, but with long term application of the paste, you can get rid of them naturally. Take one teaspoon of each paste and mix it with 10 to 15 ml of water, apply it directly on the target area and slowly rub it, both clockwise and anti-clockwise, for about 3 to 5 minutes. Rinse it off with normal tap water. Repeat it daily for about 15 days; we bet you will feel the difference. Before applying the paste, make sure your skin is not sensitive to baking soda.
- 2Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is not just a plant; it is medicine itself with a hand full of effective properties. It will help regenerate your skin tissue with its miraculous healing properties. If accelerate the production of new cells on the target area. The new baby cells will gradually replace the old scar cells, which results in the disappeared scar with new glowing skin. Take two teaspoons of fresh aloe vera gel; apply it on your stretch marks, wait for 10 to 15 minutes, then wash off with normal tap water. Repeat it daily till it starts to fade.In general, it takes about a week to see the difference. Apply a mild moisturizer after washing it off. In case of skin irritation, rinse off immediately and try other remedies.
- 3Coconut oil: Yet another viable option is coconut oil, which has numerous dermatological effects followed by healing property. It will help the affected cells to shed off naturally while triggering the process of new cell formation, which will eventually help to disappear the stretch marks. For best results, you can mix coconut oil with a teaspoon of lemon juice, slightly heat up the mixture, and apply it to the concerned areas. Leave for 5 minutes then rinse off with lukewarm (or normal) water. Coconut oil and almond makes another most effective stretch mark removal paste. Soak one or two almonds in water overnight, and then crush it to mix with two teaspoons of coconut oil, don’t heat the mixture, just apply it and lightly rub for 3 to 5 minutes. Rinse it off with mild soap and apply a moisturizer to keep the area hydrated.In most cases, coconut oil has zero to no side effect on the skin, but if your skin is sensitive to coconut oil, go for other remedies.
- 4Vitamin A: Though it sounds natural, you have to purchase a topical extract of vitamin A to apply it to the target area. But why we are talking about Vitamin A? This is because vitamin A or retinoid make skin softer and brighter by removing impurities. It targets the deepest dermal layer; thereby remove the scars without failure. There is various vitamin A solutions are available, purchase one with topical effectiveness. You can consult your dermatologist before making your final buying decision.
- 5Castor oil: If you have dry skin and suffering from stretch marks, then go for the castor oil remedy. Castor oil has an amazing healing property along with moisturization, and hence really a good answer to the question how to get rid of stretch marks naturally. For best results, apply it twice or thrice daily as per the absorption capacity of your skin. And of course try to know whether your skin is sensitive to castor oil, if it is not suitable you can always try any of the above-mentioned remedies.
How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks!
Few words before wrapping up
Do exercise every day, giving special emphasis on the affected areas; it will help the body to get back its elasticity. Besides, it will tone up your muscles, which will help reduce the marks over time.
If you are serious about removing them start early before it’s too late. The more you delay, the more time it will take to disappear.
Sometimes, removing stretch marks during pregnancy can be harmful to the unborn baby, wait for a couple of weeks post-pregnancy then start applying those ingredients.
You can apply one or a combination of remedies for better and faster results; for example, vitamin A can be applied following the sugar scrub. So, what are you waiting for? Remove the stretch marks like they never existed!